Monday, November 07, 2011

Sakuraebi Onigiri and Veggie Karaage

For today's bento, I made sakura-ebi onigiri, tamagoyaki and a *meat-like thing*. I mixed sakura-ebi (teeny tiny shrimps), a little of salt and brown sesame oil into fresh-cooked brown rice, then shaped it by hand, then wrapped with nori as usual. Last night I made mock chicken karaage using soy meat made out of soy protein. The texture of the mock karaage is just like meat, and still has a bit of soy bean flavor. But if you season soy meat richly nobody would believe it's soy protein. Last night, for bento, I seasoned some of the mock karaage with syoyu and umeboshi paste (because I added too little seasonings to the soy meat), then kept it in the fridge. That is the meat-like thing! And I put a cup of soy milk yogurt (I made two days before) with yuzu honey in the bento. Gee, it may not so long until I become a vegetarian???

2011.11.07-1a

homemade soy/cow milk yogurt

7 comments:

  1. Wah!  What a great find with the soy meat!  Your bento looks like a wonderful treat :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to eat less meat.  I love the look of your mock chicken karaage, it looks wonderful.  Plus, anything with umeboshi paste has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mari! I'm existed about how much I can utilize soy meat. There are still alot to learn on food adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes me too! I actually want to be vegetarian. My family would be unhappy with it though. I got cheap umeboshi the other day but it's a bit too sweet for me. I use it as a seasoning. ;) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! i like it 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete